Makeover Time! (A DIY Project)

by Sebastien G. May 06, 2017

As some of you may know, Penelope and I both work full time jobs on top of our business venture. This doesn't always allow us to focus on the things which we would like to. This past week, we had a "staycation" - so we decided to spend some time on something that desperately needed it: our sewing room. For months now, we've been working out of a space that wasn't really created with 'Puppy Threads' in mind. We decided to change that this week.

The plan started with a large work space. One that would allow us to make all of our cuts and work on other creatives. Because both of us are under 6 feet tall, we settled on a work space that was 41" high.

Off to the drawing board I went (hold the laughter):

Before I continue with this blog, let me point out that I'm a novice DIYer (and clearly not Picasso). This was my 3rd furniture/upcycling project. For past projects, I used a 7 1/4 Mitre Saw that I bought on a whim for $79 CDN (approximately 3 peanuts and one unsalted pistachio in USD). Once we had an idea of what we wanted the work space to look like, I created some measurements that would work for the structure. Each 'base' required:

  • Four 2"x4" cut 12.25" (back/front of top/bottom structure)
  • Four 2"x4" cut 31" (sides of top/bottom structure)
  • Two 2"x2" cut 31" (sides of middle shelf)
  • Two 2"x2" cut 12.25" (back/front of middle shelf)
  • Two 16"x8' cut 38" (shelves)
  • Four 2"x4" cut 40" (legs)

Here's what that looks like:

Before you create your measurements be sure to measure your wood (...) as this can change your plans. For instance, our 16" board was in fact 15.25" wide (and 2"x4" is typically 1.5" x 3.5"). Be sure to measure everything before you fully plan everything out.

Our full buy list:

  • Eight 2"x4"x8" (structure)
  • Two 16"x8' (shelves)
  • Two 2"x2"x8" (middle shelf)
  • Two 20"x48" (for the work space top)
  • Water Based Sealant (protect and give smooth finish)
  • White Latex Paint (for white wash)
  • Foam Brushes (for the sealant)

The reason we had to purchase the 20"x48" for our table top is because I do not own long wood clamps and unfortunately I do not possess the strength or stamina to jam pieces of wood against the wall and wait for them to dry.

After I made the cuts, the next step was creating pocket holes for our 'joint pieces' (anything that wasn't a leg). These holes are sightless and very solid. I used a "Kreg Jig"  for these which can be purchased on amazon or at home depot. Have a look at this picture as I catch my breath:

Once you've created these, you really just snap your fingers and everything comes together (I wish):

Once the piece was together, we used an orbital sander to sand everything down. We then took our white latex paint and diluted it with water (2 parts paint, 1 part water) to create a white washed look. We applied 3 coats of that mixture to every inch of that work space. Once done, we applied 3 coats of water based sealant with our foam brushes. These two parts were likely the longest part of the entire project and required me to make countless trips to the garage asking "Is it dry yet? Is it dry yet?". After Penelope told me she'd turn the house around, I stopped asking (aloud at least).

The next part of the project was taking an orbital sander to our previously purple sewing table. To get all of the original paint off took about 1 hour:

Once done, we added the 3 coats of whitewash mixture and then 3 coats of the water based sealant. Here's what the desk looked like after 1 coat of the whitewash mix

Finally, the last part of the DIY project was an ironing work station. This idea came on a bit of a whim. As we were moving stuff away from the spare bedroom to the basement, Penelope brought up an idea that I had been mulling over for a few days (great minds...).

We decided to take the circular saw to the library:

Became

After a bit of extra TLC (black stain and sealant to the sawed legs), we added an ironing board top to the shelves, and created our ironing station:

Thus concludes our sewing room makeover. We can now focus on making the cutest dog accessories without much thought as to where something is, or without breaking our backs working around each other. We hope you enjoyed reading through our DIY project - and hope that we've inspired you to get onto your next project :)




Sebastien G.
Sebastien G.

Author


Leave a comment

Comments will be approved before showing up.